Thursday, March 19, 2009

Reality Check



I guess life is just that all about the reality check.  Jose and I got one earlier this week in regards to Eva and her condition.  Being with her on a daily basis I can forget that she was given this terminal diagnosis.  Maybe its that I want to forget that time is limited with her in this life.  Last weekend Eva had a really tough time, she had an increase in seizures and fevers.  Some of her seizures even seemed a bit more violent, but they were non-stop, that meant non-stop sleepless nights for her.  She was so weak afterward and just not all there, her breathing was more shallow and she looked lethargic .  Her hospice nurse came to see her and told us that Eva's breathing pattern had changed and that was not a good sign.  She told us that it was a possible pattern of deterioration.  Again, Jose and I were sent back into our reality of how fragile her life is.  Don't get me wrong, our daughter is not "fragile", she is a tough little girl.  She is a fighter, hey she takes after her mom!  It is so hard to see your little one go through that, I didn't sleep for four nights, if she wasn't sleeping neither was I.  Margaret, our nurse told us that she could have only a week left.  Margaret also told us babies make liars out of doctors all the time and that she hoped Eva would make a liar out of her.  We increased her comfort medications and well, we discussed it with our families and Jose and I had the very uncomfortable conversation about, "what will we do, when 'IT' happens.  It was a rough beginning of the week.

Well the week is not totally over, but Eva has seemed to respond positively to her medication and she has gotten well needed rest.  Consequently, she seems her former self, strong and beautiful.  She has been sleeping well with the minimum seizure activity, for her any way.   I stare at her when she sleeps.  Is it possible to love someone this much?  I just want to be grateful for having this long.  I know we will be sad when she's gone but I genuinely want to think of her and feel happy, not pain.  Is that possible?  Is that achievable when you lose a child?  Well, here more pictures of our little one from this last week.  She is amazing!!  I wish all of you could get to hold her, I hope the pictures are of consolation. 

Love Los Pena

4 comments:

Em said...

I am so sorry. That is really hard. The great thing is that kids do make liars out of doctors! She is so cute! I was sitting here, looking at your blog with my little niece that was born the same day as our Lilly, and she was awww, what is her name? I told her Eva and she said, "Oh, baby Eva! You are so cute!" That is why I love my daughter's best friend, who I am privileged to also be able to call her my niece. Hang in there, she still is teaching those around you.
Heart hugs,
Emily

Em said...

Just wondering how you guys are doing. We have been really sick (my husband has pneumonia) and so we are sending our love and thoughts from afar. I will try and call this weekend and see how things are going!
Heart hugs,
Emily

Daddy's Fighting for Freedom said...

Gabby our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What a sweet baby you have. You are so strong and so is little Eva for all that she has been through in her very young life. Please let us know if you need anything. Castanon Family

Hadeel said...

I Love u Eva,u r so cute ,i think u r the luckiest baby ever to have such wonderful parents,God protects u.my prayers r with u and ur family,my baby Youmna loves U Eva, wishing my baby to be a strong fighter just like u.

hadeel