Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mother's Day

Yesterday I sat in Eva's hospital room holding her and I realized I was holding both of my children at the same time. It's not like it was the first time that it happened, I guess it was the first time I realized it. It was an awesome feeling!

Well we're going on our third day here at Primary Children's Medical Center. Eva is doing as well as we hoped. The first night was difficult, they had a hard time getting her seizures under control and so it was a really hard night. I had warned them about her seizures, I had warned them about her vitals but I guess they didn't believe me. So there was some panic. They also didn't seem to believe me about her medication dose and so they didn't give her what she is used to getting. It was a bit frustrating not being able to do anything and of course just not understanding the pharmacology behind their decisions. We got a consult from the neurology department the next day and it was a huge relief to her back on her medication and to her baseline.

This afternoon they started her gtube, some meds and very little formula. They are just wanting to see how her stomach reacts. So far Eva has been handling things like a champ. Tonight they only started with 5mL of formula at a time and every four hours they will increase by 5mL until they get to her usual dose. They just want to see what her stomach and nissen procedure will do, so far its looking good!

These last 15 months have gone by so fast i can't believe how big Eva is, how much Jose and I have changed and grown. We continue to progress in our goals. Jose graduates in less then a year, we are 7 months away from our 3 year wedding anniversary and about 6 weeks away having our second child. I know this may sound crazy but today I had this flash of our son becoming a parent and I had an amazingly overwhelming feeling of pride and joy! I know its a bit premature, since he hasn't even been born yet!

I can say that as of late, I have become very conscious of what we choose in life today impacts even our distant tomorrows. I know that when I think of our future, our children, Jose as a physician, our future home, being grandparents, future missionaries, I feel so happy! I feel so hopeful, it is those visions of our future that remind me everyday to seek counsel from the Lord about all of our decisions. I know that because of these visions I want to make sure that my decisions are based on the future outcomes. I am so grateful for the blessings in our lives, I am so grateful for the trials that help us grow and for the reminders of my role as a mother in Zion!

5 comments:

Cassie said...

You're such a spiritual giant! I can't believe you've also been a member for 3 years(?).

Don't feel silly about your future flashes. I always imagine seeing my daughter dressed in white at the temple getting married and I get teary eyed. I'm crazy too then. :)

Kayla said...

you are so strong! love ya girl!

Kayla said...

stay strong! love ya girl!

Em said...

I loved this post!!! Although it is frustrating at PCMC not to felt heard, I am glad to hear she is doing so well!!! Yeah for no throwing up (knock on wood!!!)

Kara said...

So beautifully written. I hope Eva is still progressing well. Miss you guys.